Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mary & Martha.. Can I be both?



If you have read the story of Mary & Martha then you know that one was busy working while the other was sitting at the feet of Jesus. As Martha complained that Mary was not helping her, Jesus told Martha that she was anxious about many things but that Mary had chosen the better way.

As a pastor / worship leader / songwriter I have considered myself to be much more on the Mary side of my relationship with Christ. If I do not spend time with my God, I have no songs to write, no heavenly counsel to give etc. If I do not spend that quiet alone time, I tend to dry up like a plant with no water..

Recently, while away on vacation, I had a interesting dream, one in which I was busy with many things that upon reflection were weighing me down. It was made mention to me that I was doing too much administrative work in the church and that I needed to just focus on my primary gifting and role which is leading worship. Upon reflection, I can see that I have indeed taken on the Martha role for quite a while now. So what do you do when you feel like you need to be two people at once? Can I be a Mary and a Martha, is there a balance? I think for the first time in my awareness, I can really relate to Martha more then ever before.. If I give it enough time, I am going to find reasons to stay in Martha mode but instead will choose to go back to what helps makes me the person I am and that is deep intimacy with the Lord.. So back to my first question; Mary or Martha, Can I be both?

The answer for me is not yet… While I am sure there is a balance, this last season has proven that I have not yet learned what it is. Nothing can or should get in the way of your first love and the passion that you have for your God. So today friends, I must put my Mary hat back on and I will put all those concerns back on the Lord and stop carrying them. And even as I write this I can hear the Lord whisper to me.. “daughter, you have chosen the better way, I will never leave you or forsake you. Trust in me to accomplish all that you have set out in your heart to do. I will guide you, I will carry you and I will settle your heart and bring you into peace and prosperity.”

Going back to his feet today.

Pastor Debbie
Living a life of Worship from the Inside Out

No comments:

Post a Comment